Saturday, September 13, 2008

1 Billion Rupees letter of demand by Ravi Karunanayake the former UNP minister of trade on ANCL - Lake House Group. Is this a joke ?

Ravi demands Rs. 1 billion from ANCL

1 Billion Rupees letter of demand by Ravi Karunanayake the former UNP minister of trade on ANCL - Lake House Group. Is this a joke ?

UNP Parliamentarian Ravi Karunanayake has threatened to sue Silumina newspaper of Lake House to the tune of Rs. 1 billion, following a news item that appeared in its issue of September 7, titled ‘UNP leadership rejected by the people’ quoting Karunanayake as saying it.

Attorney-at-Law G.G. Arulpragasam, writing to the Associated Newspapers of Ceylon Ltd, ­ — Lake House on behalf of the Parliamentarian, has said that the report under the said headline is absolutely false and has been made with the intention of creating a rift between the Leader of the UNP and Karunanayake and also, to defame him and to ruin, ridicule and to humiliate his unblemished character as a person, as a professional and as a politician and to mislead the public and to gain wrongful advantage.
“I am instructed by my client to state that you have been carrying on a malicious campaign against my client, making unfounded and false accusations against my client and my client’s subordinates.

“I am instructed by my client to state that, as a result of the said defamatory article together with the headline, my client has suffered grave harm, injury and damage to his good name and reputation, character and credit and my client estimates the damages suffered by him at Rs. 1 billion.

“In the circumstances I am instructed by my client to and do hereby demand of you the said sum of Rs. 1 billion within 14 days from the date hereof. In the event of your failure to pay the said sum of Rs. l billion, within 14 days from the date hereof, I have further instructions from my client to institute legal proceedings against you and your editor, for the recovery of the said sum together with interest and costs of suit,” the lawyer has said in his letter to Lake House.

No comments: