Tuesday, August 26, 2008

(TID) of the Police has requested (in writing) the presence of Mano Ganeshan at TID office in Colombo Fort, tomorrow (Aug/26) 11 AM.

Mano GANESAN

Leader of Western People’s Front

Convener of Civil Monitoring Commission

President of Democratic Worker’s Congress

Member of Parliament for Colombo District

Fax +94112435961 Email: ganesan@eureka.lk Post Box 803 Colombo SRI LANKA .

The Director of Terrorist Investigation Division (TID) of the Police has requested (in writing) my presence at TID office in Colombo Fort, tomorrow (Aug/26) 11 AM. The Director/TID has stated that an statement from me is needed in respect of an ongoing investigation conducted by his Division.

I invited the TID officials to visit my residence due to my personal security issues. However the Director again requested me to visit his office sighting his inability to send his officials to my residence due to departmental logistical reasons.

I have decided to make myself available at the TID office as requested. This is in accordance with my policy of supporting the maintenance of Law and Order and cooperating with the legal system as an individual and as a rigid Democrat in line with the public designations held by me.

I firmly believe that Terrorism in two types practiced and in existence in this country. One is State terrorism and other is Non-State Terrorism. The state Terrorism is the mother of the non state Terrorism. I do not believe that the Terrorist Investigation Division of the Police conducts fair and impartial investigations. The political agenda of the ruling party at any given time overshadows the activities of police department in Sri Lanka. It is politically biased and ethnic oriented. This is the sad but true history of the Sri Lankan police department.

There are plenty of ‘terrorist’ and ‘criminal’ accusations and claims made against many governmental powerful and ethnically privileged persons and set of persons in the past and present. Most of them gone unnoticed and ignored when it comes to the powerful and ethnically privileged.

In the recent past Defense secretary Gotabaya Rajapakse accused me of being a ‘member and dealer with LTTE’. Ruling SLFP’s official party organ ‘Dinakara’ paper called me a ‘drug trafficker, underworld element and weapons runner’. Extremist JHU parliamentarians almost referred to me as ‘an American agent’ since US government awarded me with the ‘Freedom Defender’ award. Minister Rajitha Senaratna accuses me of working to the designs of the West. Recently state owned Lake House’s ‘Sunday Observer’ and Web Blogs published stories associating me with Colombo bomb blasts. I chose to ignore all these false accusations as I have more worrying matters to worry about. This is because we are working and performing on our own set agenda independently. The government also withdrew the personal securities of myself and my parliamentary colleague late Hon. T. Maheswaran. My colleague was assassinated in Colombo on the first day of this year and I was forced to seek temporary refuge in India.

It is no secret that government of Sri Lanka is annoyed with our Human Rights movement and non abiding political stand. My party is the only Tamil party outside north-east that is not participating in the government. My party has performed better in the just concluded provincial elections over many traditional Tamil parties in the government. It is very obvious that the government for it’s own political agenda is trying to corner me.

Under the above circumstances, I wish to bring to the notice of the diplomatic community and people & government of India and all right thinking parties & people that I am an opposition politician, Human Rights Activist and an ethnic Tamil. I stand belonging to a non or less governmental & ethnically under privileged group. I am firm that under no circumstance I will give in to any ‘state police pressure’ to change course of my present Human Rights movement and stances aiming at a political settlement that will meet the aspirations of the oppressed Tamil nationality and all other ethnic and religious minorities and also of the Sinhala nationality.

Mano Ganesan


No comments: